A new era for driver training
Your immediate and increasing global requirement to test and develop autonomous vehicle systems on the public highway, is driving a quantifiable and necessary shift in how risk is assessed and mitigated when testing and developing. Consequently, the development and nurture of your teams involved in design and development has also changed. CAT Driver Training are designing and delivering that change.
This is a new era for driver coaching and training, bringing new challenges and diversity as these new technologies converge. Embracing this change, CAT has created a new approach to training delivery – every team member involved in their development requires advanced driving knowledge, whether they are in the office or out on the road. Colin Hoad
CAT’s Location at Leading 5G Testbed
We are proud to be the only driver trainers based within Millbrook Proving Ground, the world-leading test bed for 5G technology. The renowned facility is purpose-built as a test location for all land based vehicles. It’s combination of 5G networks, challenging real road circuits, specialist testing tracks and surfaces and simulation make it the ideal location for Autonomous driving, development and testing.
Our logic at CAT Driver Training is simple. If you wish your CAV to complete a journey safely, the people designing the system need to have a knowledge of safe driving practices. In parallel, knowing how vehicles behave dynamically is key to ensure tyre grip is optimised in all driving scenarios.
Consider these questions about you and your team:
- How many are advanced drivers, not just experienced drivers?
- How many have had defensive driver training?
- How regularly do team members actually drive on the road?
- How many have experienced or been trained in skid control and/or winter driving techniques?
- When was the last time the Highway Code was read?
- How many are vehicle dynamics engineers?
- How many have taken post DVSA test driver training?
- How many are familiar with the rules of the road in the country the system will be operating in?
- How many are trained vehicle evaluators?
- How many have been trained to negotiate and operate on a proving ground in safety?
- Are you as a company compliant with current Health and Safety legislation with reference to driving for work and the testing of motor vehicles?
The risks involved in the rigorous testing of autonomous systems, including effective disengagement procedures, are reduced with our brand of bespoke driver training. The requirement for your scientists, mathematicians, engineers, software / hardware developers and safety drivers to be advanced in driving theory or practice, needs action now.